2018 Safe Worker and Safe Employer Awards presented
For Immediate Release
Regina, SK: Today, WorkSafe Saskatchewan presented the 2018 Safe Worker and Safe Employer Awards in Regina as part of the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board’s Compensation Institute.
2018 Safe Worker Award
WorkSafe Saskatchewan presents the Safe Worker award to a worker who goes beyond the expectations of their position to help create a safer workplace.
The 2018 WorkSafe Saskatchewan Safe Worker award winner is Justin Ellis with Humboldt Electric, Saskatoon.
Justin came up with the innovative idea of Safety Opportunity Cards so employees regularly contribute to health and safety on a regular basis. Employees use these cards to identify unsafe acts and recognize employees who were properly adhering to safety protocols. Any cards with negative observations do not include any names, while positive observations recognize individual and team efforts. In the card template, employees must identify immediate solutions, which stresses that it’s every individual’s responsibility to correct unsafe acts. Part of the solution includes the Site Supervisor taking steps to eliminate similar hazards or situations from reoccurring. Introduced in December 2016, Justin’s card system is ongoing as part of the company’s Safety Management System.
The two finalists for the 2018 Safe Worker Award are Ryan Munson of BASF Agricultural Specialties Ltd. in Saskatoon and Gerry Sohnchen of North Ridge Developments in Saskatoon.
2018 Safe Employer Award
The 2018 Safe Employer winner is R.M. of Wilton No. 472.
The R.M. of Wilton No. 472 strives to establish itself as an industry leader in promoting and protecting its employees, the public and the environment. As such, the R.M. of Wilton is proactive in measuring its safety management system through field level risk assessments, site, equipment and PPE inspections, training sessions, job safety analyses and emergency response procedure drills. Workers are responsible for contributing to the safety program and safety is part of every employee’s annual evaluation. The R.M. of Wilton encourages employee engagement through safety incentive programs, bi-annual safety recognition events and pre-job/monthly safety meetings. Digital displays are used in lunch rooms to highlight safe work practices and procedures, safety reminders and acknowledgements of safety excellence.
The two finalists for the 2018 Safe Employer Award are Asiil Enterprises Ltd. and Ceda Specialty Services LP – Ceda Holdings LP et al.
· WorkSafe Saskatchewan has presented the Safe Worker Award annually since 2006.
· WorkSafe Saskatchewan founded the Safe Employer Award in 2007 to honour an employer who shows leadership in health and safety beyond the requirements of the industry and legislation.
· Workplace peers and colleagues nominate the recipients of these awards. Two committees representing WorkSafe Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour, the Saskatchewan Safety Council and the Canadian Society of Safety Engineers adjudicate the nominations.
· Nomination forms for the 2019 awards are available at www.worksafesask.ca/resources/awards/.
· WorkSafe Saskatchewan is a partnership between the Saskatchewan Workers' Compensation Board and the Ministry of Labour Relations and Workplace Safety.
· In 2016, 88 per cent of Saskatchewan employers achieved Mission: Zero